Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Talking to Therese

Last week while we were waiting at the dentist together, I took the time where I could give her my undivided attention and started to ask her about her life in China.  She has always talked about one little girl she calls JieJie.  I asked her if JieJie slept in the same bed with her.  She replied, "no, I sleep by self."  Then she looked up at me very seriously and said, "I not have a mommy and daddy."  I didn't quite know what to say to that, so I asked her if she needed one, and she said yes, very emphatically.  Then I pointed out the obvious, that she has a mommy and daddy now who love her very much.  She threw back her head and gave her giggle of pure joy.  It has been interesting how bits and pieces of her former life will come out. That is the first time she has ever said anything remotely negative, and she has said many times that she wants to "go back my China."  She is such a cheerful little soul and obviously made the best of her situation.  Several times since then she has commented, "I not have mommy and daddy in my China."  She probably is just now realizing what it means to have a mommy and daddy.  She was nervous about the surgery, since John had so many problems with his, but I told her that hers was a little one, and that we will be with her.  That relieved her mind quite a bit.  It breaks my heart to look into the face of this beautiful little five-year-old, and realize that she didn't have any idea what it meant to be loved in a family, and to have your mommy and daddy go with you when you need to go to the hospital.  It took nearly 5 years for this little girl to get her family.  I'm very blessed and honored that we have her.