Sunday, May 5, 2013

It all comes down to thread

Thread is how you can tell what my stress level is like, specifically if I have time to floss my teeth and whether I get to cross-stitch at least once per week.  It has been a stressful month, but I have flossed my teeth most nights, and I have managed to make progress on my current stitching project.  I started working on it in January, while we sat around the hospital for the kids' MRI scans, and it is shaping up very nicely.  I think I can finish it in a few more weeks.  Of course I have about 10 projects lined up in my basket, waiting.  I can probably finish all of them by the time I turn 40.  Maybe.  I'm on the shady side of 35 now and it is hard to fit in time for hobbies.  I really wish I could figure out how to read and cross-stitch at the same time, but I find that trying it means you don't do a good job at either.  I do manage to read about 500 pages per week, almost always non-fiction.  I can read and style my hair, or read and shave my legs.  I just can't manage to count threads and read a cross-stitch pattern and a book at the same time.  My idea of a great break is to cross-stitch while listening to audio lectures from the Great Courses, or of course watching my favorite show, available on YouTube, Time Team.  When I was about 8 years old my main goal in life was to be an archaeologist.  It seemed a perfect fit, since I loved digging in the dirt and loved studying history.  When I found out that I could watch old episodes of Time Team online I felt like I had hit pay dirt!

Here is my current project.  It is from a painting called the Madonna of the Streets, and I am using a Holy Needle pattern on evenweave, 28 ct. Jobelin.  This is my biggest project ever on an evenweave fabric where I have to count over two threads.  It is a bit wrinkled since I'm trying stitching without a frame and just rolling and folding it up to hold in one hand.  Mary's cheek has a crease in it, but I will iron it before framing.



Here is a close-up of where I am working.  Baby Jesus' little arm and hand has taken me several weeks.