Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Yesterday was just one of those days......

First of all, I woke up with the beginnings of a cold.  I had those tell-tale signs--tired, achy, sore throat, runny nose.  I got everyone dressed and breakfasted, got our reading and catechism done, and then the kids wanted to draw with markers.  I set them up at the table and Fermin was writing everyone's name.  I was impressed.  Then he wanted to cut his paper with scissors.  So I let him have the kid scissors and decided to rest and check my email before getting lunch on the table.  As I was at the computer, I heard Fermin's voice say, "cut off another one, Catherine."  Those words got me into the kitchen to investigate without delay!  Catherine had cut off several of her little curls.  I know all kids give themselves some kind of a haircut.  I still remember when my younger sisters did that.  It is almost a rite of passage.  But I love my girl's curls.  I spend a lot of time fixing her hair.  It is so curly that when it is dry you can't tell, but when wet it goes halfway down her back, so each of these little locks are quite a length of hair if you stretched them out. 



Fermin gave himself several nearly bald patches, right in front where it is the most noticeable.  He also gave his little brother a patch at the crown that is almost like a tonsure.  We are one week away from violin recital, where the oldest three will be playing and also getting their holiday pictures taken.



As you can tell, Fermin was not embarrassed at all at his appearance.  Jose didn't snip much of his hair, but he suddenly was wearing a cap.  Hmmm.

So there was marker all over the table (marker, not markers, which were mostly on the floor) I had kids whose hair looked moth-eaten, and I had to get ready to leave for my physical therapy.  I had such a nice quiet break at physical therapy, but I worried about what my little zoo was doing, left with their very gentle Grandma.  It would help if she had a little more drill-sergeant in her.  Anyway, I came home and found the house a wreck.  There were toys everywhere and you could hardly walk in the boys' room because there were blocks covering the floor. 

Part two of the day was trying to get the kids to clean up.  I was on my own because Mr. B. was out of town for the day doing his simulator training.  The kids hate cleaning up their messes.  It would be easier to do it myself, but we put the effort in to train them to clean so they won't grow up to be slobs.  At least that is the theory.  I have trouble with kids going AWOL from their assigned task.  Once as I tried to catch an escapee, I slipped on the debris and fell, hard on the floor.  I landed on a wooden block.  It knocked the wind out of me.  You would not believe how much a wooden block can hurt when you fall on top of one.  The rest of the evening I felt a little shaken up, my ribs hurt, and anytime I lifted my arms I had sharp pains up my back and side.  I managed get the kids to clean up, gave shorter haircuts to the moth victims, and got them bathed and ready for bed.  When I combed out Catherine's hair in the bathtub, a whole handful came out.  They had been cut but stayed on her head all day.  She has some serious gaps in her hair.  I'm not going to attempt trimming hers yet.  I think making multiple braids will cover up the holes. 



 Mr. B came home about 9:30 to a clean house and children, but a somewhat sore and flustered wife.  I took some cold medicine and went to bed.  Jose's shorter hair cut took care of his self-trim, but Fermin has three nearly bald spots.  I wonder if I could fill them in with black marker for the recital?