Friday, December 28, 2012

Eating snowmen

Today the kids were absolutely thrilled by the first real snow.  It was mostly gone once the sun came out, but the older ones did get to play in some for awhile, so they were happy.  Even though it was a very tiny amount of snow, they still managed to track it everywhere and leave wet snow gear everywhere.  I spent quite a lot of time on my hands and knees by the toilets, cleaning the grout with ajax and a toothbrush, so I needed a quick dinner idea.  The menu tonight is a green smoothie, salad, and pumpkin flaxseed pancakes.  You can't get a menu like that at IHOP!  I accidentally made one shaped like a snowman, so now all the kids want them.  Since I'm not very talented, some of them look more like binoculars.  Some either looked like very small-headed snowmen, or maybe a textbook drawing of an appendix.  The kids don't seem to care that their mom's talents are definitely not in the area of art.  Mr. B. asked me if I could make one shaped like a rabbit.  Maybe I took the rabbit thing a little far, but I couldn't resist the challenge.  It does look different than a snowman, or binoculars, although the first try was more like Mickey Mouse, after getting his head stuck in a door.  It is a good thing we have a similar sense of humor.  When we start a good joke we are like dogs with a rabbit, I mean with a bone.  We can have fun with one, then later dig it up and enjoy it again.

Green smoothies came first:

 
Today I put fresh pineapple in it.

 
My best effort at a bunny-shaped pancake:  (Yes, I served it on a Thomas the Train plate.  No one is too old to appreciate a classy plate like this!)

 
Therese with her snowman pancake.  She said, "Thisa funny!"

 
"I like it, this one."

 
Since I'm on the topic of food in shapes, here is a cute spinach leaf I found the other day.  We eat bushels of it but haven't ever found such a cute little heart shape.
 
 
On the 26th we actually had Christmas dinner, and since it was late we were the only ones eating in state in the dining room on the good dishes.  The kids loved it.

 
Eagerly awaiting his food--John liked the menu very much even though he declined the sauce and he was skeptical when I was cooking the bean cakes.
 
 
My plate, showing the menu:  Adzuki bean and rice cakes with roasted yellow pepper sauce, asparagus, and mashed potatoes.