Thursday, November 17, 2011

How many children is too many?

Lots of people have been talking about the Duggar family, especially since they are expecting their 20th child.  I haven't watched their show in a long time, but I think they are a great example of a family who is very fiscally responsible and who are truly open to life.  We could use more families like that in this world--we wouldn't have a social security crisis, for one thing!  I find it very interesting to see how people react to them.  Some people get so upset about them having so many children.  I think our culture needs to be reminded that life is a gift.  Certainly it wouldn't be prudent, or possible, for every family to have 20 children, but we can all celebrate every human life.  Every child is created in the image of God. This is an excellent posting on the topic.    


It can be a lot of work to have a large family. I only have 4 so far, and this picture perfectly portrays how I often feel. Multi-tasking is an understatement!


 I rarely take all 4 of mine out on errands by myself, since it is so much easier to beg my mom or sister to watch a couple of them.  It is faster to do my grocery shopping with just a delegation, and they get some more personal time with Mommy.  When I do take all 4 of mine out, if I had a dollar for every time someone said, "you have your hands full," I would be able to pay for several more adoptions.  Yes, it is a lot of work to have 4 kids 6 and under, but it is so much more than that.  They are 4 unique individuals, not to mention very cute (I am not biased at all!), and I am very blessed that 3 other women chose life, and that I was allowed to become the mommy to these children.  I usually try to answer in a way that emphasizes the good part--we are never bored around here!   And once they can dress and feed themselves, and you get a few out of diapers, life is sooooo much easier!  Yes, I do more laundry than I can keep up with, and yes, they do get into a lot of mischief, and yes, I do hear myself saying things I never thought I would say, like "do NOT pee on your sister," and "get your foot out of your brother's ear," but at the end of the day, especially once they are all fed, bathed, dressed, prayed, and tucked into bed, I think I have the best job ever.